$1911

was donated
RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by Stefan (moderator) 13 years ago

Sure! Coming up :-)

RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by suzwe 13 years ago

will there be a possibility to export your patterns to generator 1? there are many patterns that repeat after a certain number of lines but you have to do it 2 to 6 (or more) times to fit top and bottom colours. duplicating the pattern with gen1 is really easy as you can use copy and paste.

the other thing is, that it would not be good to force users to fit top and bottom colours. in the case i described above, patterns can get very long and that too will not be allowed. and it's annoying for every one that read the faq if patterns are unnecessarily long (just imagine printing them). in those cases a simple hint what to do at the end of the pattern would suffice, don't you think?

RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by Lovemenot 13 years ago

I would love to see a string count at the top, sort of like the current row count. It would make things just a tad easier :)

RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by lostflight2 13 years ago

Yay for flash! Now I can generate at work!

RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by Stefan (moderator) 13 years ago

@suzwe: I am thinking about some built-in editor for the pattern code, as it was in Generator 1. It would be like clicking a button, editing the code (like in generator 1) and press apply. What do you think?
The repeating restriction is just for now, I will remove it as soon as most bugs are fixed. It's better to have more restrictions in the beginning to avoid the most serious exploits. It is also a little bit of a test... Will the users get used to producing repeating patterns? At least I would be happy if more patterns are repeating.

@Lovemenot: Yes, both string counter and row counter are coming up.

@lostflight2: Generating at work? Aren't you supposed to work at work? :)

@stefan: this would be great! the advantages of gen1 and gen2 in one generator! will love it :)

RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by Lovemenot 13 years ago

I like the idea of simplifying creating repeating patterns. Like you said Stefan, just making a way to copy paste it til it repeats like in gen 1. I was tinking with gen 3 last night and was getting aggravated trying to get top and bottom strings to match up. It was also be nice to keep it as a requirement to submit... but I unsderstand in some cases it just isn't possible. Can't wait to see string count, I am so tired of counting, hehe. Yes I am quite lazy.

On a side note, I wish I could use the generators at work. But I don't sit at a computer all day, and my phone disagrees with all of the generators. Lol.

RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by ruserious 13 years ago

i agree with suzwe on this comment:
the other thing is, that it would not be good to force users to fit top and bottom colours. in the case i described above, patterns can get very long and that too will not be allowed. and it's annoying for every one that read the faq if patterns are unnecessarily long (just imagine printing them). in those cases a simple hint what to do at the end of the pattern would suffice, don't you think?

i recently made my first pattern, and when i made it, just in case my pattern wasnt accepted, i printed it out beforehand. {this was before gen. 3} and now that the pattern is up, it is too long! im glad i prnted it out with just the one set because i would have hated printing that out.
on a side note, maybe there should be a button next to patterns that says: see one set; see set with top and bottom colors etc.

sry for writing a novel>.<

ruserious, this one set/ top-bottom set button is a very good idea!

i published a lot of patterns with no fitting top and bottom colours. but i wrote in the description what to do at the end. as they were published, someone added the missing lines to fit colours and now they have 70 and more lines... furthermore my description is now very misleading :( i had already questions from users why i call my pattern "short" and so on...
but that's life :D

RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by craftaddict 13 years ago

The pattern I made with Gen3 is published! It is a little odd to not have the description/keywords :) It worked very nicely. I still think that having the 1212 button to automatically switch them to all fbk would be lovely :)

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!