$1911

was donated
RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by Stefan (moderator) 13 years ago

Oh, so much feedback :)

@craftaddict and Viscum: I'll try to find a smoother way to change knot types. The right-click is kind of reserved by flash. Try the right-click yourself and you will find the priceless zoom and print menus! I don't want to take them away. Maybe a drop-down menu would fit here also?

@craftaddict: No, there is no limit on the pattern size in this Generator. I have to make one though... The site will choke if someone sends in a big pattern.

@superc: A zoom and pan tool would be the answer for both of your questions. I'm not sure of how I will implement that but of course it can be done somehow.

@Viscum: The triangles are coming up soon :)

@Frosty: Thanks for the tips. The string remove cannot be done without destroying the pattern, not even if the string is located at the rightmost position. It's just the nature of the patterns.

@suzwe: I'm trying to make the menu buttons as fast and easy to understand as possible. It's coming up soon.

@Frosty and suzwe: Changing color in a specific pattern before tying is one of the great features that made me start doing this. It's going to be implemented, for sure, and it will be easy to do :)

Current to-do list:

- Save button
- Load button
- Warning about non-repeating pattern
- Draw a full pattern at top, not just 1 cycle
- The pattern at top is missing the outer triangle-like knots
- Change color should take max 2 clicks
- Alpha pattern mode
- Max number of rows/strings
- Faster way of choosing knot type?
- Zoom / Pan ?
- Row numbers
- plus/minus buttons at top left
- Mode for viewing different colors in an existing pattern

I hope I didn't forget anything now :)

Oh, and one more thing: All of you seemed to be able to view this new generator. Flash ftw!

RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by craftaddict 13 years ago

Actually, the "annoying" right click menu might be the answer to the zoom in/pan, because it does that! I hadn't thought of that before. As for the max number of strings, I know that I've wanted about 85-90 (100?) rows before to make a non-repeating pattern that goes the whole length of the bracelet and have had to break it into 2 patterns to get it published. Stefan, you are great to keep trying to make this site better and easier to use!!

RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by suzwe 13 years ago

i wouldn't make a drop down menu for changing knots. i think everyone can make 3 clicks faster than this. for me clicking is ok :)

i have another question:
i find it difficult to find matching colours in the colour box (for a colour gradient for example) because there are six matching colours in a line and then three than would better be in the next line... hard to explain... i understand your colour order, it's just HEX colour with ascending letters. but it would be better to make the line break after six colours. then you have matching colours horizontally and text vertically...
you can see here what i mean: http://old-schulte.de/farbtab.html

this would make the box very long but you could make two columns for example?
hope this is not too much work... you do a great job!

i hope my english is not too bad... ;-)

suzwe, you are really great on this subject! Did you study at art school or something? Personally, I suck at color gradients, color circles etc.
Anyway, I updated the color picker and it's awesome now! Thank you for that tip!
I was also thinking about some kind of fill function, for changing colors on all other strings in that color. What do you think?

no i study physics and i always want to know how things work :D

the fill function could be great but there could be symmetric patterns that need two strings of the same colour... or did i misunderstand you?

Awesome, I'm also a physicist in the visualization and VR branch. I'm supposed to make my thesis soon.

I don't think you got what I meant... An example is nice here!

Let's say you have a 2-color bracelet with starting string colors AAAABBBB. The "fill" thing I was talking about replaces the colors of one kind with another color. In this way you could change your colors to CCCCBBBB with just 2 clicks using the color picker.

now i get it! this is a great idea. till now you had to do this in generator 1 but it would help a lot to be able to do it while creating a pattern :)

---
ot: i'm also supposed to make my thesis soon :D i will start in december i think.

RE: Generator 3 BETA is up! by Joy 13 years ago

u mean like a fill bucket on the microsoft paint??

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!