$1911

was donated
Plagiarism rules! by Olympe 14 years ago

I know this might not be what you want to read, but I think it's a sad thing that there are more and more people plagiarizing patterns. Personally, I mean that it's no big deal to publish an already published pattern on another site, but seeing that some people don't do anything but plagiarize patterns and even raise a fuss when "their" patterns do not show up in their profile... Well, it annoys me to no end.

Dear users, I have to ask you, do not submit any patterns here without reading the darn Terms Of Use (TOU) first!

RE: Plagiarism rules! by Stefan (moderator) 14 years ago

I understand you, Olympe. I try the best I can to work against people that steals patterns and disobeys the TOU.

If you know who does such things, please report the pattern in question. You will find a link on the patterns' page.

Thank you

Stefan

RE: Plagiarism rules! by Rissa 14 years ago

That's good to know!

If Heather, Helena, CoHa, Nanna, Lucia and others wanetd to see their patterns here they'd upload them theirselves! Please respect their wishes and at least ask them before you upload their work!

I've already reported about a dozen patterns that I definitely know are not invented by the people who uploaded them. Sorry to give you some work, Stefan ;)

RE: Plagiarism rules! by K8e92 14 years ago

what would happen if someone made a pattern on the generator and didnt even know that someone elsa had already made it? also its not like Stefan (even though he is amazing) made up patterns 1 and 2. i'm not trying to argue against anybody but it is helpful to have all the patterns in one place.

RE: Plagiarism rules! by Rissa 14 years ago

K8e92, there are certain petters that are out of question. The standard ones, candystripe, chevron, with and without borders, as well as some other, easy ones can not be claimed by someone as they were invented years, decades or maybe even centuries ago. These are free to use.
It also can happen that some people "invent" a pattern independently. This has happened before and will happen in the future. But then there normaly are differences. The threads and knots are arranged and made differently.

If someone now takes a graph someone else made and just types each single knot into this generator this person must definitely know that the pattern doesn't below to him or her. In this case she or he decided to ignore Stefan's TOU:

Rejection of posted bracelets:
[...]
5. The pattern exists on another site.

Respect the copyright laws

If a pattern is being posted by a user that is not originally the creator of the pattern, then the real creator decides what is going to happen with the pattern. If the creator does not like distribution of his/her patterns this way, then the pattern will be deleted from this site and the user posting the pattern will be punished with temporary banning or permanent banning.

I think that you can now add comments with the patterns you enter.
Some people like Heather are ok if their patterns are here. But in this case they deserve that their name and maybe even webside is mentioned in the comments!

Sure, like I said before, it would be great to have all patterns available at one place. But what if Marina Ulmer's patterns would show here? She would not earn money with her patterns any more.
Or if people go on posting patterns out of books. I've seen several patterns by Sigrid Hennke here recently. Who would by their books anymore?

It's a matter of copyright. You can't post patterns that belong to someone else. Fullstop!
People could even sue Stefan if their patterns are released here and he wouldn't notice. Ok, this would definitely go to far for some few patterns, but it would be possible.

So take that in mind before you ask that all patterns should be put here...

RE: Plagiarism rules! by CoHa 14 years ago

K8e92 I don't understand your comment "but it is helpful to have all the patterns in one place."

I'm the owner of the website www.freundschaftsbaender.at.

If all patterns would posted here, I could close my website because of having not enough visitors.

And if wer are honest: If there would be posted all patterns on Stefan Hedmen's homepage, HE would get all praise and honor for the work, not the people (for example me) that created it.

No, that's definitly the false way!

My heart lies in my bracelet-project (homepage), I'm not prepared to lose all the honor of my work to Stefan and his website!

RE: Plagiarism rules! by Atila 14 years ago

Moderators,
I tried to upload a pattern which is created not by me. I poste in description url with site, in which i found it. But the pattern wasn't posted/ Later i posted pattern without adress and also i don't get it... nthis site is easier to see how to make bracelet. So why there can't be bracelets to make? i think there's a lot of people who posted not theit patterns..

RE: Plagiarism rules! by Stefan (moderator) 14 years ago

Atila, the pattern was for sure just thrown away. It is not okay to steal someone's work like that. Of course it would be awesome to have all patterns on one site but it will never be possible.

By the way, great words there CoHa. I guess we are both in the same position.

RE: Plagiarism rules! by Nanna 14 years ago

It seems that some people who plagiarize patterns (at least those who posted my patterns here without asking me or giving any credit) know very little English, so they probably haven't read Terms Of Use at all.

RE: Plagiarism rules! by K8e92 14 years ago

i undertsand what you all mean about the copyright and i read the terms of use. but i really wish i could see all the patterns in one place. but i guess it wont happen. and about the bracelet patterns where they look the same as ones already made, i was wondering if they are taken off the site even if the person didnt know it was already made?

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!