$1911

was donated
An alternating/mismatched Chevron pattern? by LilFleur 5 years ago

Hi all! Has anyone seen a pattern for a Chevron where the colors are "mismatched?" Not sure how best to describe it, but whereas in a normal Chevron the colors on the left and right side of the V shape are the same, in the bracelet I'm looking for, they are different. I know I've seen this patter at one point, but I've searched and searched and I can't seem to find it again. :(

RE: An alternating/mismatched Chevron pattern? by EdBlair 5 years ago

Pattern #5138 is an 8-string example where each "stripe" is two strings wide.
Pattern #7607 is a 6-string pattern with stripes that are 1 string wide.

You can use these as starting points to make a design with the number of strings and colors that you want.
The problem with this type of pattern with a bracelet with an even number of strings is that the center knot (which would be the point of each normal chevron) will break the symmetry by favoring one side or the other. In pattern #7607, for instance, the stripes on the left side always have 3 knots, while the right side has only 2. One way to fix it is to add another string to the right side of this pattern that is not used to form stripes, but is instead used to add a third knot (i.e. a FB) to the stripes on that side.

RE: An alternating/mismatched Chevron pattern? by LilFleur 5 years ago

EdBlair, thank you so much for those pattern links! 7607 is the closest to what I'm looking for, with the single string width. This is the actual bracelet I'm trying to replicate. I've never made a pattern before, other than editing the colors, so I'm not really sure how to alter the pattern to make it like this. :( https://i.pinimg.com/736x/20/a9/a2/20a9a25d24f7711d8cd8c66dbf7e2f5f.jpg

RE: An alternating/mismatched Chevron pattern? by kleinevos (moderator) 5 years ago

That is a regular chevron, with different colors for each string. All knots in the middle are forward knots.

RE: An alternating/mismatched Chevron pattern? by EdBlair 5 years ago

Actually the center knots in the picture LilFleur linked to are alternating forward and backward with each stripe. This particular bracelet has 14 strings.

To see the difference in how the center knots change the look of the bracelet compare pattern #7607, where all of the center knots (except on row 1) are forward knots, with pattern #6846 where they alternate forward and backward.

When all the center knots are the same, you get a strait line dividing the two halves of the bracelet, but one side is larger than the other. The more strings in the bracelet the less noticeable this is.
When the center knots alternate, the division appears jagged, but the two sides are balanced. This is also the effect that is used for "braid" patterns.

RE: An alternating/mismatched Chevron pattern? by kleinevos (moderator) 5 years ago

You are right, EdBlair :-)

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!