$1911

was donated
RE: Plagiarism rules! by Rissa 13 years ago

Right, you can sell all the bracelets you made, no need to mention where you got the patterns. Most people aren't interested in that piece of information anyways, they just see the finished product.
But it would be nice if you would tell people where you found them if they ask you, it's a sign of respect for those who put time and imagination into creating the patterns and who offer them to you for use, either for free like here and at quite a number of free homepages or for sale through books or other websites.

RE: Plagiarism rules! by iajc20 12 years ago

I first started friendship bracelets from a klutz book. What I have noticed is that almost every single pattern/instruction that was in the book is now in a tutorial on this site. I mean they are the EXACT same. I know I talked to Carrie about that and it has copyright problems.....it's stealing from klutz. In the tutorials it isn't even mentioned where it's from. It bugs me because it's taking away money from klutz, and they really are a great company. They have so many amazing instruction books and people are giving away their ideas for free.

RE: Plagiarism rules! by Roseit 12 years ago

I started with the klutz book too. :)

RE: Plagiarism rules! by K8e92 12 years ago

the thing with Klutz is that they did not originally make the patterns they put in their books. or, at least, all of them. the candy stripe bracelet was not made by Klutz. I have the book too, and i dont know what the copyright says on the book but i've seen photocopies of the klutz book pages online before so we're not the first to "steal" from them

RE: Plagiarism rules! by iajc20 12 years ago

If it really is stealing, just because someone else did it does not mean that it is now okay for other people to do it too. All I'm saying is that if someone did take it from klutz, how hard is it to write that in the tutorial? It isn't hard at all and people should get in the habit of giving credit to other people who actually created the things they are using.

RE: Plagiarism rules! by Carrie 12 years ago

I think most people learned from Klutz, and those that didn't, it might not be available in their country. I never hear of people finding this site before they've heard of friendship bracelets, so the chances of Klutz losing money is so incredibly slim.

RE: Plagiarism rules! by K8e92 12 years ago

also, some people who make tutorial videos may not have learned bracelet making from klutz. it's very likely that someone taught them and then they would not give that kind of credit.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!