$1911

was donated
RE: DMC floss vs. by purplepaisley 12 years ago

SleepyKitty pointed out to me that the floss sold in these packs @ Hobby Lobby is "Iris" brand. I don't believe I've ever heard of it before now, and I truly didn't notice until today that the brand was right on the skein!! Duh!! ;o)

RE: DMC floss vs. by k_marie 12 years ago

I've used the hobby lobby brand (IRIS) and it's fairly decent compared to Prism brand. (although I prefer the craft thread version over embroidery floss as I've had better knotting with it).
Even if it doesn't go on sale, you can always use a 40% off coupon either printed off your comp or show them the coupon on your smart phone to get it for even less.

RE: DMC floss vs. by SleepyKitty 12 years ago

k_marie: I had wanted to try their craft thread, I use that for my kumihimo bracelets. Good to know it's a nice quality, thanks!

Yeah that's my brand of choice to use as it has good color variety and strength of the thread. It also comes in variegrated too. it knots better and evenly (atleast for me.)
I've tried a lot of floss, craft thread, yarn, crochet thread... I like to experiment to see what works best for what projects I work on. I'm buying the larger packs of string every other week, so I always have plenty of variety.

Will have to look for and try the craft thread.

RE: DMC floss vs. by Unbelieber 12 years ago

The first brand I had ever picked up was Prism. Before I tried anything else I thought it was awesome. Then I tried Iris and found, for me, it was much better because the craft thread broke while I was tying even though I didn't knot tight at all. Then I tried DMC and I love it the best (I don't think we have Anchor where I live.) I love floss better than craft thread since it never breaks on me no matter how tightly I knot and I never have a problem with the strands coming loose.

Just a note for anyone who shops Hobby Lobby.....the Artiste ("Iris") thread & floss packs are 30% off again!!! Run!!!

I saw that today. Too bad I'm stocked up on craft thread and embroidery floss :(
Also micheals has 20% off your whole purchase all week with coupon. Craft thread/ floss there is typically $3.99 for 36skeins. Loops & thread brand as well as Prism brand.

RE: DMC floss vs. by Kestrel 12 years ago

I loathe Prism. With a passion. It used to be available here but I never see it anymore, a fact for which I am heartily glad.

I actually use Trebla and Moonbrand thread when I'm using a "knockoff" brand floss. Both are nice, although Trebla's colouring system can be iffy and their skeins, even in the same colour number, aren't always the same. Every so often you get one that is a slightly different colour, or a slightly different texture. As floss, it knots perfectly well though, and I've had none break on me yet.

Also has anyone else tried the floss craft packs/boxes you can find at Joanns (for 9.99) or Hobby Lobby (for 15.99)?

There are several different kinds and themes. Some with floss with up to 105 skeins in it, and some with craft thread with up to 150 skeins in it. I'm not sure what the brand is, but I think its Iris. I bought 2 total from joanns with their coupons and paid less than $10 for a floss pack of 105 skeins and a thread pack of 150 skeins. Its a pretty good deal if you're a thrifty shopper. Color variety was pretty decent too.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!