$1911

was donated
Kumihimo Generator Ideas by AutumnRane 12 years ago

I think the hardest part of using this generator is that you aren't sure which 'circle' on the finished pattern corresponds to the string in the disk.

Maybe if there was a way to color the strings, the way you do on the normal pattern generator, and see what the result would be, would make this a more useful generator.

I hope that came out coherently lol.

Also, there is more than one Plait style for making Kumihimo, will there be any other generators using the different styles? For instance, the style currently posted is:
Right down, left up, turn counter clockwise. very simple and basic.
I am currently making one that is a little more complicated. I want to make a tutorial as soon as I can (I don't have a webcam atm) but until then is there any way to amend the generator so that people can pick different styles?

I have a lot of ideas but I don't know anything about building the actual generator itself.

RE: Kumihimo Generator Ideas by ConfessorKahlan 12 years ago

There are TONS of kumihimo weaves. I know this because I have an actual Marudai (A kind of weaving 'loom' if you will) and I make braids that are round AND flat, as well as several different kinds of 'patterns'. This is simply the easiest one to make on a foam disk. As for whether or not they will be making a generator for those, I don't know. There are far to many to cover them all, I think. Try searching google?

RE: Kumihimo Generator Ideas by AutumnRane 12 years ago

I made my own Kumi Disk and a Plate too, It's really difficult to find patterns online though. I'm not really sure why. Mostly I've just found videos on youtube and tried to replicate them till I figure out the technique.

If you have any techniques or patterns you could share with me it would be awesome!

RE: Kumihimo Generator Ideas by ConfessorKahlan 12 years ago

I'll see if I can find some in my craft drawers. You're right though, I had to search for AGES to find any Kumihimo patterns. You might be better off buying a book of them if you really get into it.

I started fooling around with different ideas and making up some of my own. I mean I'm positive they aren't original ideas, but I'm discovering them on my own.

I've posted a couple of tutorials for basic ones though, hopefully it'll make it easier for other people looking.

RE: Kumihimo Generator Ideas by Stefan (moderator) 12 years ago

Don't worry about the fill mode for the disk - I'll add that eventually :)

When it comes to arbitrarily shaped bracelets, I don't know. I have no idea how they work. Or is it the same thing as with the circle shaped? What is the difference?

Stefan, webmaster

I'm not totally sure, I am still experimenting with different techniques and seeing what is possible with the plate.

I know that there are several ways to create a cylindrical shape which can be used for bracelets, straps, necklaces and so on.

What I was thinking is that if you had an option on the generator that could switch to the different 'modes' or techniques it would be cool, but I have no idea about the coding that goes into that.

I will keep looking into the effects of different moves and see if I can come up with something more concrete.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!