$1911

was donated
The generator could use an even/odd start option. by BeyondBracelets 13 years ago

Diamond patterns are annoying to work with when you're starting out even and you really need a crisp point to make the pattern more simplified/less confusing.

Maybe it would be possible to have an option for starting with an even row or an odd row? This might already be suggested but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there.

Anyone else agree?

RE: The generator could use an even/odd start option. by Stefan (moderator) 13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mathematically, an odd pattern can be converted to an even one in all cases. To make starting a pattern simpler for beginners, I just disabled the feature to start with odd rows. Being able to start the patterns in two different ways adds another difficulty for beginners.

And if you really want to start the pattern in the odd way, just skip the first row. Maybe I should add an "odd/even converter button" to the next generator?

This is my opinion, but I'm interested in hearing the opinion of other users too.

RE: The generator could use an even/odd start option. by BeyondBracelets 13 years ago

I'm thinking (if possible) have the main set to say "EVEN PATTERN" and possibly a button to the far right that says "ODD PATTERN" or something- unless that is what you meant by a converter button? I think a button that gives you the option of even or odd would be awesome- that way people could switch back and forth between even/odd in a similar manner used to add rows and columns.

I just know every single time I have to simplify the pattern for my youtube subbies I go into paint, crop it and paste beneath so I can have a crisp starting point of a chevron variety- it just seems to settle the strings better IMO.

I'd also like to see what other people say, but since I threw the idea out there I figured I'd add in another thought! Thanks for responding!

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!