$1911

was donated
The pattern already exists.. Is a lie! by Lovemenot 13 years ago

I tried submitting a smaller version of one of my patterns, at request of a fellow member. However, it told me that the pattern already existed, #21893. When I tried going to that pattern, that pattern did NOT exist.

My guess is that it used to exist, but it was removed, and the database upon submitting is not recognizing that it is no longer there.

RE: The pattern already exists.. Is a lie! by craftaddict 13 years ago

That happened to me before, too, but when I was trying to enter the pattern, the generator was giving me problems (like it was going down to having only 1 string, etc.) and so I tried again with the same info and it said that because of my previous attempt!

RE: The pattern already exists.. Is a lie! by Stefan (moderator) 13 years ago

@Lovemenot the error messages may be confusing sometimes. The pattern probably existed before, was rejected by moderators and now it cannot be uploaded again. In this case, the pattern exists in the database but it's not reachable for normal users.

@craftaddict you are not supposed to enter the same pattern multiple times. You can reach the patterns you started to generate from the generator page. There is a button saying Saved patterns or something.

@Stefan I start over again because the generator messes up and won't let me add more threads or knots. It just has 1 thread and it won't do anything else!

RE: The pattern already exists.. Is a lie! by Lovemenot 13 years ago

I do not understand why the pattern I had made would have been rejected in the past unless there was already one just like it. But when making the pattern, if your pattern already exists, it will tell you that it already exists. The pattern I was trying to submit had absolutely nothing wrong with it. The bottom strings even matched the top ones.

Anyways, would it be possible, if not too time consuming, to change the error message to be a bit more explanatory. Perhaps telling you that it was previously rejected, or that there is currently one just like it, awaiting confirmation from moderators?

@craftaddict I don't understand why you only can work with 1 string. Read the generator instructions again. Maybe you just missed some tiny detail?

@Lovemenot I'm working on a new generator in flash at the moment. I will try to do my best when implementing error messages. Maybe you could help me with it, and test the beta version? I have no beta ready for you yet though, the current one can hardly view a pattern.

Okay, this is what happens...I type in the desired threads (ie AABCBABC) and then I paste in the knots from where I figured them out, then I hit Generate. It comes back with an error saying the knot structure is wrong and then suddenly I only have 1 knot per row and there is only a spot big enough for 1 thread, so I can't add more. I have no idea why it would do that. Also, sometimes I want to change the order of the colors (ie from ABACBAB to ABABCAB) and then I hit Generate and it reverts back to the way it was originally. As an aside, I wish you could transfer from the regular generater to Generator 2 like you used to be able to!

Can you give me a complete set of starting string letters and knots that give you this error?

I deleted it and started over in Generator 2.

Oh, ok. If you ever get the error again, please copy the codes and send to me. That way I can fix those bugs.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!