$1911

was donated
New website bug thread by Vanessa_du_Frat 13 years ago

Hi! I'm submitting a bug thread, as I notice there are quite a lot bugs on the new website :( First of all, my all-time favorite pattern "cannot be found" (pattern : 9235. The biggest one on the website, with 80 threads. First, a few hours ago, the pattern picture would not appear, but the pattern was still there when you had the direct link (otherwise, it couldn't be found). Now, it has disappeared altogether). Then, second bug : it's the fourth time this day I sign in and tick the "remember me" option. I keep being logged off. Last but not least (and maybe it's only me) : I can view only the first page on this forum, no going anywhere near page 2 or 3 or any other.
I hope whoever in charge of the website can fix that soon. I know it's not easy and it's a real pain updating the website (I'm a webdesigner), because of the bugs you can't see and you didn't think of. But I want my favorite pattern back :(

RE: New website bug thread by Stefan (moderator) 13 years ago

About those patterns: https://www.friendship-bracelets.net/forum.php?thread_id=8807&p=1

The "remember me" thingy has been unstable since I started the website. I think it's time to rewrite it. On my to-do list!

I'm surprised about the page navigation in the forum. I'll take a closer look at it. What page is it on? On the first forum page or when you have chosen the category?

It's the first day of the new site version, can you really expect it to be bug free?

PS. I don't think it's a pain updating the site, I think it's fun! But of course, I don't use all the functions of it when bugtesting, I leave that to you :)

RE: New website bug thread by Vanessa_du_Frat 13 years ago

No, I didn't expect it to be bug free ^^ I know very well what it is to update a website. And it's always the users finding the bugs, because however many potential bugs you think of, there are always some left.
The forum page is stuck on the first page of the category. The page url changes to "id=2", so logicaly the page should change, but it remains on the first page. You can browse the categories, but not the different forum pages in the category once you've selected one.

About the patterns, it's not that I wanted it, I've printed it already, but the discussion about it, the comments, were really fun.

What do you use for the remember me ? it seems to be a session problem, like the session is too short. On my website, I made the cookie remain for a year. And what CMS do you use for the website ? (or did you write your own one ?)

RE: New website bug thread by LV13 13 years ago

I don't know if you have already noticed this (just trying to be helpful). These aren't major issues.

When you are looking at all the photos for one pattern, there isn't a link to get back to the pattern and on the first page of pattern there isn't a link to view all photos of that pattern, you have to click on the photo that is showing, then click to view more photos of the same pattern.

RE: New website bug thread by LV13 13 years ago

Also from the photo page, you can't click on the user's name and go to their page.

I'll go now, lol.

@Vanessa_du_Frat: Thanks, I know exactly where to look for bugs now. Thanks for reporting the bug.
The "remember me" function is an old piece of code I wrote years ago, it uses the PHP session and also cookies (set to expire in one year as a matter of fact).
I use my own CMS for this site. I couldn't find a good one that worked for all my needs. I also have a burning interest for programming, so it's quite a nice hobby project to work with on my spare time.
You seem to know your stuff. What is your website? Is it your job?

@LV13: Thank you for the feedback. I didn't really notice that. On the to-do list!

Stefan

My website ? I have several ^^ My main website is my online novel : http://www.lesenfantsdelo.com
Otherwise, I recently designed a flash website, with a point&click game : http://www.zarkan.org
Everything is in French, though.
I really like programming as well, especially actionscript 3, but I also like php/mysql a lot. I'm impressed with what you did, I would never be able to conceive a CMS. On several websites, I used a wordpress base, that I modified to my needs. It's not really my job, I'm a proof-reader in a publishing house, but I've also worked as a webdesigner/programmer in the past.
The php session is also what I use, I've never had problem with it, but on my side it's not a "remember me" with a log-in option, it's designed to redirect the user to a particular page if he comes for the first time. Easier than a log in session.
Good luck with your to-do list :)

You got some really cool sites :) Too bad I don't understand...
I also did some flash in my younger days, but when I learned PHP I just wanted to do that.

I found the "remember me" bug, when I have uploaded my local files it should work. The problem was that the function that logs in via cookies wasn't updated since I changed the structure of the other login functions. I literally rewrote every file when making this version of the file, but apparently I skipped parts of the login module :S

Thanks for the talk. I might get back to you to talk about ActionScript :)

Hi Stefan ! I found another bug... When I'm logged in, if I come back to the website, after, let's say, half an hour, if I click on "your page", I get an error message : "the user doesn't exist". However, if I click "home", I'm logged in and I can access my notifications.
Strange.

Hi! Thanks for spotting the bug. The reason why that happens is because the session timed out and the cookielogin is a bit late. I'll fix, don't worry.

Stefan

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!