$1911

was donated
Quite disappointed... by LeFuzz 11 years ago

I am quite disappointed that the generator won't accept non-repeating patterns, as I hate repeating patterns and love dynamic patterns (where colors change role following a pattern) much more. Since you seem to manually approve each pattern anyway, you should probably lift that restriction.

Oh well!

RE: Quite disappointed... by Kestrel 11 years ago

We don't accept non-repeating patterns anymore for a very good reason. The vast majority of patterns work perfectly fine with a repeat. Some don't, and we understand that. However, there are far more patterns that don't work without a repeat, than those that do.

Having to manually accept or reject every pattern is a lot easier when there are restrictions in place as to what has been posted in the first place.

RE: Quite disappointed... by Acid 11 years ago

Indeed many years ago when we had none repeating patterns, we had loads that looked ok but simply didn't knot how it looked. Alot of these were removed, the ones that do work were kept on site.

Another reason although most of us are ok with none repeating ones is that users were confused by how to read none repeating patterns. I.E which colours start again and so on.

Most of the patterns on here only need to be repeated after so many rows and in this case for some of them you can figure out it repeats fro a certain row and some patterns have this in the description box were applicable.

RE: Quite disappointed... by Foz 11 years ago

I don't see what manually accepting patterns has to do with it. we used to have a generator that allowed the string order to be different at the start and finish and you cannot possibly imagine the messy, broken, and simply unfinished patterns that got generated and posted. we have more than enough to do checking the completed patterns without opening the doors for random, unfinished ones as well.

also, welcome to the site. but since you only joined yesterday, and you're already disappointed I'm sure you haven't seen half os what this site has to offer.

RE: Quite disappointed... by Carrie 11 years ago

I'm on LeFuzz's side. There are a ton of cool patterns that could be generated if only the maximum amount of rows were gotten rid of, or the non-repeating patterns were allowed.

I'm not sure how much programming it would require to change the generator in a way that it would allow non-repeating, complete patterns, but keep people from posting absolute random rubbish.

I think we just need to keep the rubbish out manually :p

we get loads of pretty awful patterns already though. I don't want to imagine what the pending pattern page would look like if that repeating-restriction were lifted o.o

RE: Quite disappointed... by Rainbowsparkle 11 years ago

I know that some don't know how to do a pattern that repeats but doesn't show all of the repitions, but it is annoying to have to make a fifty row pattern when it repeats after five rows.

But that is what we're here for, isn't it? And I think RainbowSparkle brought up another awesome point.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!