$1911

was donated
I can't stick to one pattern. Help? by Nadia 13 years ago

The thread name pretty much says it all, but I'll explain some more. Everytime I start a bracelet, I'll take a break or go to sleep and I'll start a new one and don't want to finish the one I started the day before. Do you guys have any tips that might help me with this problem? I will try ANYTHING.
Thanks.

-XOXO Nadia

RE: I can't stick to one pattern. Help? by go_blue16 13 years ago

omg, same here. lol I know this isn't much of a help to you, but I feel exactly the same way when I tie bracelets. It's like, you get bored and tired of a bracelet you've been working on.

One thing I've found that can help a little is to occupy yourself while making bracelets...like, multitask to occupy your brain so you don't get bored =)...like, watch a movie or watch TV while making a bracelet. Listening to music is also a really good option. Just tie your bracelet WHILE doing others things, like talking on the phone or something.

Sometimes I've even tried reading a book while tying bracelets and I find that it works....however, be warned, only do the things I've mentioned if you're working on a simpler pattern. The harder/larger patterns require much more concentration and if you're distracted while doing them you can mess up horribly and waste loads of string(it's happened loads of times to me before =)

well yeah, that's all I can say about the issue. the techniques have worked for me and I hope they'll work for u too. hope i helped! ;)

RE: I can't stick to one pattern. Help? by KibsBoyRO 13 years ago

why do u start a bracelet if ur not gona finish it? and why start another one if u alrady have one started? a bracelet shoudltn take more than one day to finish as in a time of 24hours so u cant really get borred, its not like u've been making it for a few days.. try make a list of the patterns u wana do, and dont start another until u finish the one u started it.. and yeah what go_blue said is good, i listen to music while making bracelets and dont find it boing at all:), when u making bracelets it shouldn't be boring cause its a wonderfull activity and needs concentration not boredom^^

RE: I can't stick to one pattern. Help? by Nadia 13 years ago

go_blue16: Thanks a lot. I'll definitely try some of those (:

KibsBoyRO: I don't get bored, I just find a pattern that I like more and then I would start that and stop working on the other one.

RE: I can't stick to one pattern. Help? by ConfessorKahlan 13 years ago

Yeah, I totally understand your problem. KibsBoyRO, it isnt something people like us can really control. It just happens. For me, I see another patttern and get really excited, and I HAVE to start that one RIGHT AWAY. So I forget my current one. I have to pick a pattern I really love, Nadia. Then I'll stick with it. And then I don't come on this site until I finish it, unless I'm just checking my notifications and messages. That helps because I CAN'T find another pattern that way. Also, I like to do my own patterns. I make a pattern, and can't wait to put it up, but because I want to be the first to actually make my new pattern a bracelet, it makes me work harder. And the music thing that go_blue16 mentioned. Silence bores me.

RE: I can't stick to one pattern. Help? by Nadia 13 years ago

Thanks (: I really can't help it though. I just sort of start a new one without even thinking about it quite honestly xD

RE: I can't stick to one pattern. Help? by Rissa 13 years ago

I know the problem. I have some few bracelets floating around here somewhere that I started days, weeks or even months ago that I haven't finished yet. But I definitely plan to.

What I do then is force myself to at least knot a few more rows on them before starting a new one, knotting while watching TV or listening to audio books or music.

And I love looking at my growing collection of bracelets. I'm a little proud every time I add another finished one to it.
Maybe you need to put your finished bracelets on display somewhere, too, so that you feel the need to finish them ;) Raise the need to have the finished product.
Put them on a cork board or knot them around a paper roll, not just hide them in the next drawer.

RE: I can't stick to one pattern. Help? by Carrie 13 years ago

I've never made a bracelet without doing something else at the same time. Do what go_blue16 said. I usually have 5 or so audiobooks out at a time, so that way I can read and do bracelets at the same time :) Also, I use Pandora a lot. I can grab a few songs for my collection while doing them, and then it goes by really fast.

Will you thinking about finishing and selling them? by XcUiDi 13 years ago

Will you thinking about finishing and selling them? That I do. I start a new bracelet when a client requests it to me. When I like a pattern, I do it and finish it because "I like it". This practice can help you to make a nice and no-curly bracelet with the experience.

RE: I can't stick to one pattern. Help? by Sierra_Johnson 13 years ago

I have like 10 started bracelets that i DESPERATELY want to finish, but because I sell them it seems like people just want more and more! ; ) sometimes I have to take a break from the one I'm working on and get psyched to work on one that I already started. I have to think of the end result, of a room FILLED with bracelets!!!! That keeps me going! : )

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!