$1911

was donated
string length by feltmarker 14 years ago

if i'm making a 16-string bracelet, how long should the strings be?

RE: string length by moushtie 14 years ago

Doesn't matter how many strings, it matters how big your wrist is :P

Most people go for at least 1m strings folded in half.. so 8 strings folded makes 16. Personally I would make them longer than this say 120 or even 150cm - it is better to have too much thread than too little.

Also look at the pattern you are making - if there is one or two threads used to make more knots than the others, that thread will need to be longer, while threads used mostly as a base for other threads to be knotted on don't need to be as long.

RE: string length by feltmarker 14 years ago

alright, thanks!

RE: string length by Rissa 14 years ago

First of all it depends on your material, how long your bracelet should be and how you start/finish your bracelet.

If you use thicker material you need to make less knots to finish your bracelet, theefore you need less string than for thinner material.

If you want your bracelet to be 15cm long you need a lot more string than for 10 cm.

If you start your bracelet with a loop you might need less string in total, but one string needs to be twice as long as it's folded in half then. If you start and end your bracelets with braids you need some more as these are normally longer than a loop, you also can't fold strings into half. On the other hand is this a bit neglectable as braids don't take that much string as the knots do.

With embroydery floss, 13-15,5 bracelet lenght and braids at both sides of the bracelets I normaly use 80-120m per single string, depending on the pattern like Moushtie said.

To find the right amount of string is a matter of experience.
But keep your leftovers, if you know how to add strings invisibly they might come in handy if you once used a string that's too short.

RE: string length by feltmarker 14 years ago

okay, thank you :))

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!