$1911

was donated
Difference in string length? by ashley2323 12 years ago

So I can't really find much on this, but basically I've noticed that when I start out a bracelet and all the strings are the same length by the end they're wayyyyy different. I don't really see how that works... is there some kind of way to know which strings will need to be longer?

RE: Difference in string length? by prpldrgnfr 12 years ago

Each knot you tie eats a little of the string length. If that particular color has a lot of knots, the string will be shorter than the others when you're done. It's also why you need *a lot* of string for the background of alphas.

RE: Difference in string length? by Rissa 12 years ago

If you make a candystripe bracelet you use about the same length of each string. Once yo strings finished the bracelet the leftovers should be equally long. But look at how long your strings have been in the beginning and how long the finished bracelet is! You maybe had 80-100cm of string, but your bracelet is only 14cm long + braids on both ends makes no more than 45cm.
Each knot you make is like a loop. So of course if you have to make more knots you are making more loops and the string is getting shorter.

There are patterns where you need really long strings because you make knots with them all the time, but there are also patterns where you only need short strings (maybe 45cm) because the string will not show once.

RE: Difference in string length? by LittleWolf 12 years ago

So basically: colors that show up a lot in the pattern need a longer length than colors that hardly have any knots.

RE: Difference in string length? by ashley2323 12 years ago

Thanks everyone :)

I think it also has to have something to do with how the knots are made. For example I discovered on a bracelet that I'm making now... I have a black diamond and there's 2 black strings. The black part is symmetrical, but for some reason one of the strings is now longer than the other one. The only thing I can think is that I always tend to forward knot the two strings when they cross each other. I want to come up with some way to predict the difference in each... it would be really nice so you could start with just the right amounts.

RE: Difference in string length? by graciela 12 years ago

look at the pattern before you start and actually count the number of knots used by each string. then you can assess which ones will be medium, long, or short. you'll get better over time!
also, a forward knot for each middle string is fine, and is what you should do! this is because it switches the two strings and you're tying a forward knot with one, then the other, then the first, and so on.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!