$1911

was donated
Single or Double Thread? by elliwashere 12 years ago

I read somewhere once when I learned how to make bracelets that you should fold the string in half. I was wondering if anybody else does this? I don't know if it's the 'correct' way or not. What do you prefer?

RE: Single or Double Thread? by Thalia 12 years ago

when you have two or an even number of the same color of thread, you can divide that number by two and cut that number of string extra long and fold it in half

Hopefully thats what you mean :)

RE: Single or Double Thread? by elliwashere 12 years ago

I mean do you take the string and fold it in half (with a loop at the top) and use two strings as one or just.. not do that? i'm not really sure how to explain it

RE: Single or Double Thread? by Kadience 12 years ago

Do you mean folding it in half and using both pieces of that thread to knot at the same time?

If so, I suppose that could work, it'd make for more chunky bracelets, if you know what I mean.

I've always just used a single one for knots. And I've been knotting for several years now.

RE: Single or Double Thread? by Thalia 12 years ago

i think that is right but not positive:)

RE: Single or Double Thread? by elliwashere 12 years ago

yes, that is what I meant. Using a single thread always seemed like the bracelet would be too thin, but I guess I'll have to try it more often to really decide.

RE: Single or Double Thread? by ButterflyWings 12 years ago

Yeah, folding is the best if you need an even number of a certain colour. It makes a loop at the top which makes it much easier to tie the bracelet onto someones wrist.

RE: Single or Double Thread? by lorie 12 years ago

It's about the type of floss. For example, if you're using sewing floss, you should totally fold the string in a half but, if you have embroidery, you won't need.

People are also folding them in a half because they want to make a loop at the beginning of the bracelet.

Hope this helped!
Bye!

RE: Single or Double Thread? by lorie 12 years ago

Oh sorry. Now I've read the rest of the answers. If you'll tie with 2 string at the same time the knot will look bigger and more interesting :-). You can also try to tie with two different colored strings at the same time. It will look so creative!

Hope I helped now!
Bye!

RE: Single or Double Thread? by drache 12 years ago

I've used a thicker crochet yarn a couple of times to knot a raised zigzag line into a bracelet. The yarn I used was probably about twice as thick as the floss. I'm still not sure that I like the result, but I could see making a heftier bracelet being nice for certain patterns.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!