$1911

was donated
Keeping your strings seperated? by LittleWolf 12 years ago

In large projects with lots of long threads, how do you make sure they don't get tangled? I haven't dared trying on anything with over 12 strings yet...

RE: Keeping your strings seperated? by ConfessorKahlan 12 years ago

Oh, I find it to be quite easy actually... I just kind of let them do what they will, and mine never get tangled. Guess I'm just lucky. But some people prefer to put them on cardboard or plastic bobbins, to keep them at shorter, more managable lengths.

RE: Keeping your strings seperated? by maggienator 12 years ago

you can make a cardboard loom. it really easy to make too. i've been using them for the past 5 years and never had a problem with them. the link below will show you how to make one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCawHdKiDYc

hope it helps!

RE: Keeping your strings seperated? by Plastic_Toast 12 years ago

I get a clipboard and put my knees up, so from the side they look like this ^. :) Then I put the clipboard on my legs and spread the strings all over the place and let them do what they want while tying, and then after a while they just kind of do whatever ;)

RE: Keeping your strings seperated? by Roseit 12 years ago

I really just ignore the strings (largest bracelet 30 strings in progress) and only take out the 2 strings I'm working with. At the end of each row I comb my fingers through it and get rid of any knots.

RE: Keeping your strings seperated? by gerbilsrawesome 12 years ago

I do pretty much the same as Roseit. I kind of leave all the strings off to one side, then pull out the two I'm knotting with, knot them, throw them to the other side, and then get the next two from the first side and do the same thing again. When I knot the 2 strands, this untangles them from the pile of threads, so I don't usually bother combing through my strands though. They're usually fine. But I would suggest that if you're only on 12 strings, don't jump to 30 right away!!! Because I did that and my 30-string failed. =P So I wouldn't recommend it lol! Although I think the hard part with lots of strings isn't keeping them in order and not tangled, it's keeping the bracelet at an even tension and nice and straight... which i kinda failed at on my 30-string...

RE: Keeping your strings seperated? by Elenalovesyou 12 years ago

i keep my knots separated in groups of 5, i even rewrite alpha patterns on paper to show the groups of 5. it makes it so much easier

RE: Keeping your strings seperated? by camlamb 12 years ago

When I first started making thicker bracelets I was also very intimidated and what I did was get a huge cheap bag of clear hair rubber bands and wrapped them up and secured the strings. It helped with the tangles and kept me organized but it was also really annoying too. Bobbins are also great to use too. Soon when you do get to the thicker bracelets you won't even think about it! I never use those tools anymore.

RE: Keeping your strings seperated? by rixir 12 years ago

I use a clipboard - plastic bobbins and binder clips :/ works for at least 20 lol... haven't gone above that yet though lol.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!