$1911

was donated
RE: CHEAP STRING???? by Tokio 12 years ago

Depending on where you live, AC Moore has great deals on floss. They constantly have sales where you can buy 4 skeins for $1. Hobby Lobby runs the same kind of sales, and they run them frequently from what I understand (however, there are no Hobby Lobby stores in my state, so I don't know for sure). They usually have the string cheaper than Michael's has them for.

RE: CHEAP STRING???? by MoonChild 12 years ago

Wow, $0.35 is incredibly cheap for DMC. I can't find any DMC or Anchor for less than ?0.85 here in Germany. The local shops even want up to ?1.35 for an 8m skein of Anchor.

RE: CHEAP STRING???? by K8e92 12 years ago

Micheal's packs of 105 don't have grey skeins, and have lots of brown so you might be paying for colors you don't want/use and still have to buy more. It is a good deal, but you have to watch out.

RE: CHEAP STRING???? by Rissa 12 years ago

Moonchild, where do you get Anchor floss for 0.85€? Is this with or without shipping?
Because I only know of shops which sell it for 1.35€ per skein, and I only know one shop that sells Madeira floss besides Anchor.
And at the internet shipping is normally too much so that it's no real difference if I buy in a real shop or online. So I don't really consider buying Anchor any more.

Instead I just buy bulk packs of minor brands for 10-20€ (plus shipping), and so far I can't complain. Yes, there are many browns included, but quite a lot of them are nice browns. I have far bigger problems to find some use for all these greens ;)

In case you are interested in some German internet shops that sell these bulk packs pm me and we can exchange links ;)

0.85? is without shipping at http://www.stickteufelchen.de. Shipping is 3.10?, so you will save money if you order 7 or more skeins.

I just ordered some stuff from http://www.stickversand.de at 0.29? a skein. Hope the quality will be ok.

Feel free to PM me your bulk pack links. I'd appreciate it!

My order arrived today. Colours are much better than expected. The floss has got a nice sheen to it. It's branded Nitarna Ceska Trebova, made in the Czech Republic. Ordering directly from the manufacturer is possible, but the shipping costs are rather high: http://www.nitarna.cz/detail.html?id=mouline&pol=1
I really like it so far. If I can get through my current project without any breakage I'll probably stick with it.

RE: CHEAP STRING???? by juliagould 12 years ago

I'm not sure if you have a Wal-Mart where you are but that's where I always go to buy mine. It's around $11 for a 105-skein pack.

RE: CHEAP STRING???? by Rissa 12 years ago

Nope, no Wal-Marts in Germany. We once had some few, but according to Wikipedia Wal-Mart lost about 3 000 000 000€ (ca. 4 000 000 000 US$) in about ten years, so they got rid of their German shops.

RE: CHEAP STRING???? by juliagould 12 years ago

Ah, well in that case, eBay sometimes has wholesale lots of floss!

Even if we still had Wal Marts they probably wouldn't carry the same stuff as the US stores.

I found an obscure little online shop that sells Anchor for 0.50?. Guess that's as good as it gets here. I can live with that price.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!