$1911

was donated
Thread "fraying" in the middle...? by MeLikesUke 12 years ago

I have a tendency to pull very hard on the string I'm knotting on, not with (the one making the straight line of the "4"), in order to keep the string taught and the knot tightening easily. I realize that this makes the strings stretch out and begin to unravel, but if I'm making a regular bracelet this doesn't cause a problem as the strings hold out for a certain amount of time. However, I'm making a larger project right now; one string broke already and I was able to tie it back on; there is one string I am keeping an eye on that is beginning to almost fray from the middle and I'm worried it will break... the individual strands within the thread unwound around one point, and one or two of them broke.

Should I try to continue working very carefully with this thread, cut it at a point and attach a new string, or is there something else I can do to remedy it? Perhaps roll wax or glue on the string to kind of re-attach the broken (but still wound in below the break) strands?

I know I have to change the tension I put on the threads, but I need a fix for now, or else I might just have to abandon this project and start again.

RE: Thread by iluvmyspud 12 years ago

there is a tutorial tho i dnt kno wut its called. i wud cut it and then reattach it and then cautiously move on thru out the bracelet. if any1 else has the answer pls speak up! Happy knotting~iluvmyspud

RE: Thread by twinsgq 12 years ago

Hi! I wouls suggest using a type of string called cotten cord, because from your description, it sounds like your using a string that is basicly many strings woven togethwer. Maybe its DMC? Anyways, cotton cord is made from cotton and does not fray, wich should help it from not breaking off. I am very happy with the result of this string. hope this helped! :)

RE: Thread by MeLikesUke 12 years ago

I use crochet thread, as it is cheaper to buy in large quantities. I usually use size 10 or bigger (lower number). How expensive is the cotton cord and where can I get it?

RE: Thread by twinsgq 12 years ago

I get it from michaels, and one skein costs 25 cents. i get the big packs, 105 skeins for $15. my teacher also buys it at JOANNS, if there is one in your area. Hope this helped :)

RE: Thread by Carrie 12 years ago

The crochet cotton tends to be more fragile than embroidery floss. I tie my knots VERY tight, and I always use DMC embroidery and it's never failed me.

RE: Thread by Caitieboo 12 years ago

keep going and if the thread breaks reattach it with clear nail polish. That is what i always do, hope this helps.

RE: Thread by ElleMay 12 years ago

DMC works best, I pull tight on my anchor thread too, and for the same reason. DMC has held out! Although I may have to try this cotton cord from Michael's...

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!