$1911

was donated
RE: Monthly Challenge #13 - July 2014 by elizabeth_s 9 years ago

Arismende: I like the monthly challenge as it is - it gives a range of patterns to choose from (whatever your ability or prefered string amount).

Plus, at a push, you can knot all of them in a month if you try. I don't think it matters how many pictures are uploaded - this might be for other reasons, people might have just not got around to it, they might be doing patterns for a secret swap, they might not even have a camera.

I think the monthly challenge is great :D

RE: Monthly Challenge #13 - July 2014 by Sammoning (moderator) 9 years ago

Well, you've seen me upload photos from challenges that were months ago, they might be made later :) I pick the ones I like and keep them in a special folder on my computer, this is a higher priority to-do list.

Actually the big-ness of this pattern distracted from the others, but I do like being challenged with some bigger things once a month. :)
Like Dimitjana said, maybe one of each category is enough, and a more
realistic goal to for a month.

At the moment I am working on the 2 small normals, and the 20str pattern, so these should be done before the month is over.

But a range of patterns means, if you don't like one you might like another ;)

Not everyone has the same tastes so the range of patterns caters for everyone

RE: Monthly Challenge #13 - July 2014 by kleinevos (moderator) 9 years ago

It takes us as moderators a lot of time to pick patterns and write it all down in BBCode, that's why it would be nice to see more pictures uploaded to the patterns.... So I agree with sammoning, 1 pattern per category should be enough. You can always pick your own pattern, or a pattern from a previous Challenge, if you don't want to knot one of the current Monthly Challenge Patterns.

But I also think the 'Pattern of the Month' was very big this time, so it left less time for the other patterns. :-(

But there is also the 'community' aspect when there are a range of patterns.

Everyone is looking at, and trying to complete, the same patterns at the same time. Then we can compare what each other has done and talk to each other about it.

Yes we can all pick patterns individually, but that means we are all single people knotting single patterns on our own.

The challenges bring us together. The range of patterns means everyone is involved.

RE: Monthly Challenge #13 - July 2014 by Bugchick1238 9 years ago

I would like to suggest an idea: maybe we continue the monthly challenge as is next month, with categories and bracelets etc. and the pattern of the month. If there are still more entries for the pattern of the month over the rest of the patterns then we do as Arismende said and do just pattern(s) of the month. If people knot the regular patterns again then stick with the same thing for the monthly challenges. I'm only offering this as a suggestion because I enjoy these challenges but I don't want the mods to feel that they have to continue something that takes a lot of time.....

RE: Monthly Challenge #13 - July 2014 by Veri 9 years ago

I think one pattern per category would more than okay.
Personally, I already have lots of projects and patterns I want to knot (I guess you all know these long, long to-do-lists :D) , so I'm glad if I can find time for the weekly-contest or for example, the pattern of the month. And having less monthly challenge - patterns would perhaps mean more entries not only for the weekly contests, also for the smaller selection of the monthly challenge - patterns; so we would have more 'competition' there, more of the coloursheme-comparing, more of the which-one-is-my-favourite?-choosing, and also more of the creative-new-ideas-sharing. :)
But that's just my opinion.

RE: Monthly Challenge #13 - July 2014 by Dimitjana 9 years ago

yay first done:
A 38535
I'll upload the pictures on Monday

RE: Monthly Challenge #13 - July 2014 by Arismende 9 years ago

Thanks for your answers to the monthly challenge question! - I agree with the point that those challenges are collections of nice patterns, ranged from easy to difficult and that it's fun to be able looking into those threads months later. But what kleinevos said, is also very important to me: creating those collections takes up to 2 and 1/2 hours of work and it's just a bit frustrating, when most of the patterns are not being knotted anyway. In my opinion the monthly challenge could at least be reduced a bit, a compromise suggestion could be having a challenge with two patterns per category: an easy and a more complex one, plus a pattern of the month.

RE: Monthly Challenge #13 - July 2014 by Arismende 9 years ago

And elisabeth_s; your point seems a bit far-fetched to me, since we also run swaps and a contest every week, in which we mostly present patterns, which are knottable for everyone (except the very beginners maybe). Those swaps and constant weekly contests seems to be quite a 'community aspect' to me already...

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!