$1911

was donated
Normal pattern V-shape/triangle opening tips? by Rururong 4 years ago

I'm trying to make this pattern #99517 while also trying to make a triangle/V-shape opening, bcz i wanna braid both end, and uh...something's off haha. This is the result of the v-shape opening that i'm trying, following the video in this tutorial.

I noticed... There should be some green border on the sides of red strings, but i got confused and that's what i ended up getting.

So... Any tips on the v-shape/triangle opening/end?

I can't undo this one and will just finish it, but i wanna try making this pattern #100604 or this #118 next, since i still want to practice the segment knotting, and pattern #118 is one of the recommendations in the tutorial. So, i think i might as well practice the triangle opening/end...with pattern like these.

P.S. : the reason why i wanna do triangle ends is simply bcz i like adjustable knot. ( > <);

RE: Normal pattern V-shape/triangle opening tips? by kleinevos (moderator) 4 years ago

Did you see this tutorial ? I think this explains it a bit better.
For a triangle ending you skip each first and last knot of a row, which makes each row shorter on both sides. Last step is including the outer strings of the previous rows in the outer knots of the next rows when finishing off the edges with one last knot.

RE: Normal pattern V-shape/triangle opening tips? by Rururong 4 years ago

Oh! I actually haven't seen this tutorial yet, bcs i got confused on searching another opening/end shape tutorial & never thought about a circle shape.

I'm gonna need some time to understand the tutorial first, but thank you for mentioning it! &#9825;

Hello again! I want to ask for a tips again... It's not actually for triangle openings, but rather an ending. I thought, rather than making another topic, i'll just ask here again, since i also put the pattern in this thread.

So...i made this #118 and just finished it today. The opening triangle is fine, but the end...i'm still kinda confused about how to end it properly, and got a rather asymmetry end. This is the 2nd time it happened.

For the other half, i use forward knots and just leave them hanging until i made the closing knots, since the pattern's steps are mostly forward knots. Would changing the steps from forward to forward-backward knots resolve the asymmetrical triangle shape problem, tho?

RE: Normal pattern V-shape/triangle opening tips? by Celicia (moderator) 4 years ago

Hello, you have to start making the decreases in the same row so that you have a triangle with the same sides. I personally go closed both sides at the same time.

RE: Normal pattern V-shape/triangle opening tips? by kleinevos (moderator) 4 years ago

It is probably mainly about tension. The pattern itself makes it hard to get it symmetrical. Like candystripes are more likely to end up asymmetrical than chevrons.
Changing the knots will make the edge cleaner, but it will not make it more symmetrical, I think.

I guess cleaner edge is better than what i did before haha. But, i will try decreasing both sides in the same row next, like Celicia said. Thanks, everyone! :D

RE: Normal pattern V-shape/triangle opening tips? by EdBlair 4 years ago

Are you tying the bracelet row-by-row, or along the diagonals (also called "segment knotting" as in this tutorial (( Knots )) A Faster way to Tie // Segment Knotting?

The triangle endings are easier to do if you are working row-by-row. If you are using segment knotting, then you should switch to row-by-row at the point where you want to start the taper.
You could do this by finishing the remaining diagonals only up the the row you want to start the taper. Then start doing the taper section row by row.

This will also show you how asymmetrical your rows are.

Re-reading your original post I see you specifically mention practicing segment knotting, so this comment applies.

Oh now i get it! Thanks for the explanation, and yes...i'm still planning to learn the segment knotting that's why i made the candystripes pattern.

So with the triangle ending for normadl patter, it's better to start row by row, right? Now i'm trying to imagine the right way to taper it row by row for the ending. Maybe do row-by-row excluding edge one-by-one? Ivm trying to imagine the steps before try it later, bcz i'm more of a visual learner... and I hope you understand, bcz English is actually not my first language and feels like it somehow worsen each day lol.

RE: Normal pattern V-shape/triangle opening tips? by EdBlair 4 years ago

The shaping of the end is very similar to how you shape the beginning of the bracelet, but the outer knots in each row are tied around one more string than in the previous row. When you are starting a bracelet the outer knots in each row are tied around one fewer string

The best tutorial on shaping is this one: (( How to... ))Shaped start for a normal pattern which includes several different ways to do it and example videos.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!