$1911

was donated
How to fix the order of strings when starting on a keychain? by misspiggie 5 years ago

I'm really into keychains lately. So I use a lark's head knot to tie the strings onto the keychain, giving me two of each. Let's say the first color is supposed to be purple, and the second should be green, and then there are maybe four other strings, and the second to last should also be green with the last being purple again.

So I tie on purple first, giving me two purple strings. I tie on green next, giving me two green strings. Then I tie the other colors and strings. How do I then get the green and purple from the left all the way over to the right without twisting the top in a really unattractive way?

RE: How to fix the order of strings when starting on a keychain? by EdBlair 5 years ago

This thought just came to my mind, so I don't know how well it would work.

You could try using the "alpha" knotting style to take the extra green and purple strings from one side of the pattern to the other. This would leave you with a horizontal band of green and purple across the top of the keychain.

In fact, I would recommend starting the green strings on one side and the purple strings on the other side of the keychain.

I also think you would want to use the center strings of the keychain in pairs as the alpha base strings so that there would be about the same number of knots across as you will have in the "normal" part of the design.

RE: How to fix the order of strings when starting on a keychain? by kleinevos (moderator) 5 years ago

There are several ways to do that. Main goal is to hide the strings before you need them. You could try something like at the end of this tutorial . If you need colors at the left and at the right side I would hide them all the way, if you need colors to skip a few strings you can hide them in less knots.
But it depends on the needed string-order/the pattern what works and what doesn?t work. I always try to balance the hided strings evenly on left and right half, so the start row doesn?t look uneven.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!