$1911

was donated
Flat braid by Emsybems 6 years ago

Hiya, I?ve been working my way through the kumihimo patterns. They are absolutely fantastic. I was wondering if there?s a way of converting the kumihimo patterns for the square kumihimo plate, flat braids. Thank you 😊

RE: Flat braid by kleinevos (moderator) 6 years ago

I used to think there was no way, but .... I have been making lots of flat kumihimos lately and I found a way to make patterns like the round ones have:
Use the technique for a round spiral kumi and reverse direction each ?row?. This will make it flat. And this will allow making patterns if you take enough pairs of strings.

RE : Flat braid by kheath 3 years ago

could you make a video of how to make a kumihimos round braclet into a flat braclet by reversing it?

RE : Flat braid by kleinevos (moderator) 3 years ago

I can :-) One thing I didn’t mention: You can’t easily convert existing patterns for round braids into patterns for square braids. You can make flat braids with more or less similar designs though. But it’s more limited than designs for round braids.
What I also might have misunderstood in the first question: Patterns for round braids can be made on a square loom, with a normal round kumihimo as result. Maybe Emsybems meant that?

RE : Flat braid by kleinevos (moderator) 3 years ago

I’ve added the video to the flat braid tutorial

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!