$1911

was donated
RE: Macrame pouch selling? by purpLhaze 7 years ago

For me sometimes the materials are costing about 10 dollars American so if I were to sell them for 10 to 15 I would be losing money at that point but I know there has to be people out there who appreciate quality hand crafted stuff that are willing to pay for the kind of work we do we just have to find them

RE: Macrame pouch selling? by meercatred 7 years ago

If you want to find out what people are willing to pay, put one on ebay and see how many people bid for the price you put on.

RE: Macrame pouch selling? by Nelipot 7 years ago

Well then I stand corrected. Lol I tried to sell them at a higher rate, but no one in my area thought it was worth it. And I usually use embroidery floss for everything and it's been giving to me. For me, crafts like this is just a hobby. I'm not that concerned about the income I get from it since it's not essential. If it was up to me, I would just give bracelets and projects all away simply because I just like making them and seeing people like them and smile whenever they get it is payment for me. However, a bunch of my family and friends think I'm crazy for doing that and so they made sure I sell them so at least I'm getting something. Lol

RE: Macrame pouch selling? by purpLhaze 7 years ago

Meercatred that is a good idea I hadn't thought of that thanks! Nelipot I get what your saying there's alot of people in my area that don't think it's worth it to pay so much for hand crafted things too but there's people that truly appreciate this kind of thing those are my favorite kind of people lol I also use embroidery thread I know there's probably cheaper material but I don't really like the consistency of the other stuff it's rough on my fingers

RE: Macrame pouch selling? by AmberB 7 years ago

The problem is that people will tell you "that's so amazing, it's worth $100!" but that doesn't mean they will be willing to actually buy it at that price. If you live in a town that does farmer's markets or craft fairs, I'd advise snooping around some of the stalls for items similar to what you want to make and see how much they are marked for. Also browse sites like etsy and art fire to see how much people have them listed for (then check to see if they've actually ever SOLD any.) Selling an item in person is going to be much more profitable for hand-made items, IMO. That "it's a one of a kind" tag paired with "it may not be here in an hour" drive will make people buy it. If you sell online, they have time to look around for cheaper.

The sad truth is that you can probably buy a similar item made in china for 1/2 the price you SHOULD sell your item for. What it costs you in time to make the item will always be lower than what you can sell it for, so if you are doing this to make money you'll have to come up with a very good marketing plan and be willing to settle for much less than they are worth. But if you are selling them simply because you love making the product, then that's another story.

Sadly, I'd only spend $15-25 on a small pouch. I've seen some in retail stores sell for more (like $35), but those stores have a larger range of clientele as well as money in case they fail to sell.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!