$1911

was donated
Suggestions For The Site by 1029384756NERD 8 years ago

So I was looking at the homepage and noticed some wording that was bugging me a bit. Indians are from India. Central and South America natives are called Native Americans. It?s just more polite in my opinion.

RE: Suggestions For The Site by xisks 8 years ago

yeah honestly this has been bothering me too, but i believe the wording is taken directly from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship_bracelet

RE: Suggestions For The Site by kleinevos (moderator) 8 years ago

I've forwarded the message to our webmaster. I know he's working on a big site-update for quite a while now, maybe he can change it in that update.

RE: Suggestions For The Site by poignet 8 years ago

1029384756NERD:

I myself call the indigenous people of the United States "Native Americans," but in point of fact, they don't mind being called "Indians." I was listening to a lecture by a lawyer on "Indian Law" and she was careful to say up front that having worked in the field for 25 years, this group did not have an issue with the term "Indian." it's not like calling Black people "Negroes" or Asian people "Orientals." Every group is different; you have to know the context.

It is extremely important to be sensitive, however, and I commend you for bringing this up.

I refer to people from the Indian subcontinent as "South Asians." They're not all from the country of India. They could be Pakistani, Bangladeshi, etc. I refer to people from countries such as China, Japan, Korea, etc. as "East Asians."

Some Americans don't appreciate this distinction, but many, if not most people with some Spanish ancestry in the U.S. now prefer to be called "Latino," not "Hispanic." To some, but not all, "Hispanic" is a term that is associated with colonialism.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!