$1911

was donated
HELP by usr856 15 years ago

can anyone tell me where to find how long to cut the threads because the patterns do not tell you?

RE: HELP by usr939 15 years ago

I was just about to post this question! It would be very helpful if there was a suggested thread length when the pattern is posted.

RE: HELP by Olympe 14 years ago

Here is my estimate:
For regular wrist-sized bracelet, you can use the following approximation:
a) If all stringss are used evenly (as for the chevron pattern), you will need about 90 cm (3 ft) of each string (for embroidery floss). (1.80 m = 6 ft if you want to fold them in half)
b) If the strings are not used evenly, do this:
1) Try to gauge how much of the pattern is knotted with each thread in % (a graph of the pattern will help!) Do this for each thread (each pair of threads for symmetrical patterns). Round up.
2) Count the number of threads used for your bracelet.
3) Divide the result from 1) through the result from 2). Round up.
4) Multiply the result from 3 with 0.8 cm (0.025 ft). Round up generously. Now you have the length of the thread. Add a generous 15 cm (half a foot) to the total. And remember: You will need at least 40 cm (1.5 ft) for your thread, even if it doesn't make a single knot. (You might throw away 10 cm (4 inch), but that's better than running out of thread.)

RE: HELP by Olympe 14 years ago

I forgot to mention: If you use the bracelet buckle, you will need more of the threads you make the knots with. Just so you won't get any nasty surprises.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!