$1911

was donated
Bookmark Beginning and Ending? by LaDixson 10 years ago

I'm making a bookmark and am looking for suggestions on how to start and end it. I've seen some with a buckle but I'm not sure that is what I want. I think for the ending, I will just cut the strings a little long to make a fringy type look (but still looking for better ideas!). I've basically started without a beginning... I made the strings about 3 inches long and just taped them down side by side and started knotting. I think my initial thought was to find some type of cylindrical bar (maybe like a triangle or something), but I'm not really having any luck finding anything that will work.

RE: Bookmark Beginning and Ending? by Trematode 10 years ago

What about something like this? https://www.friendship-bracelets.net/tutorial.php?id=4463 It might be too late to try that now.

You can still always braid each end. Or knot them and cut off the excess.

RE: Bookmark Beginning and Ending? by LaDixson 10 years ago

I looked this tutorial before I started and it scared me off pretty quickly! I have since gone back and reviewed it again... it was still hard for me to understand but I started a bracelet with some kind of concept of making a boarder across the top using the outside threads that will already be a boarder along the sides. I'm sure I did a disgrace to the tutorial :)

Do you have a pattern number for the bookmark you are making?

Depending on the design, you can end it like this: https://www.friendship-bracelets.net/tutorial.php?id=2714
I use that design to end most of my bracelets

You can also start it like a shaped bracelet:
https://www.friendship-bracelets.net/tutorial.php?id=317
Its the same concept... divide your strings into 2 sets. On the left, take your first string and do 2 backwards knots over ALL of the strings, pick your second colour and do 2 backwards knots over ALL of the threads (except the first thread you used) and you keep going until all of your strings are used. You repeat that on the right hand side. It'll probably work best with a pattern that starts off with a diamond-like shape, like in the shaped bracelets.

RE: Bookmark Beginning and Ending? by LaDixson 10 years ago

I was using https://www.friendship-bracelets.net/pattern.php?id=439 and am going to start over on it! What you described is basically what I am practicing with now to use. I appreciate your feedback!

Let me know how it works out!

RE: Bookmark Beginning and Ending? by Micaiahw8 10 years ago

Make a loop at each end and when you finish the knotting then make another loop and then glue it on to cork board and press down on it my sister but it under a heave box.

RE: Bookmark Beginning and Ending? by WJB2 10 years ago

I make bookmarks by starting out with larkhead knots. I just use a piece of scrp string to tie them around because I learned the hard way that if I use a thin dowel or pencil or something like that, then when I"m all finished and I want to pull the pencil out it's WAY too tight to just slide out. So I really have to work at it which kind of un-aligns my nice clean lines of the alpha pattern. So now I just use a piece of scrap string as the top to tie all the larkhead knows around.
For the bottom I just cut it to about 1" of fringe and either leave it like that or else I fold it under to the back and glue the strings down. Then I use one of those big triangular clips to let the glue set. I use 1.5mm shamballa cord so this works quite well. I don't know how it would work with floss or yarn.

RE: Bookmark Beginning and Ending? by HarleyMama23 10 years ago

I've made a few bookmarks so far. I started with about 4-6 inches of string at the top to make braids with. I taped over all off those strings and started knotting the pattern. I also leave about 4-6 inches at the end to make braids as well. Ive also made one with small amounts of fringe at the top and bottom.

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!