$1911

was donated
Length of strings by Renaki 10 years ago

I was just wondering couldn't you add the estimated length of its sting in the details of the patterns? With my recently made bracelet I ended up with the two strings remainings being 20cm long while the two other string remainings were sooo short, I almost couldn't finish the project. I started with all my strings being the same length 60 cm.
Or is there any way I can calculate it by myself??

RE: Length of strings by kleinevos (moderator) 10 years ago

If you start with about 120 cm you will almost never run out of string. There is a tutorial about estimating stringlength!

RE: Length of strings by KnotterHolic 10 years ago

I feel string lengths are very unpredictable, since it really depends on the knotters technique of knotting. Some may knot tight while others lose. So for the people who knot them tight, they would have more string to work with. Well not quite a lot, but a little more than people who knot theirs lose. I guess you have to find your own strength and go according to that. I'm a tight knotter most of the time , but some days when i just don't have the strength i tend to go lose. But in both cases , I've found that if you cut your strings about 120 inches and folded in half (coming to 60 inches for the strings) works real nice. Plus if you're not keen on doing the pattern more than 7 inches, you'll have string to spare for your closures. Going 10 or 20 inches more (i.e 140 or 160 and then folded in half coming to 70 or 80 inches respectively) wouldn't be of any harm since you would still have strings to spare that maybe you could use as closures and pick them up for other minor projects. I believe it's better to have string leftovers, than having no string left at all, eh ?
In short, It's all trial and error. Trust Me. I've got a bag of scrap i use for minor projects or making buckles. Comes in handy once in a while. I assure you :)

RE: Length of strings by Renaki 10 years ago

Thank you very much for your replies, however what I am trying to say is that we should have an idea of how long a string should be approximately and then of course we can adjust it according to the rist size or the way we work.
There are some patterns in which I end up with having used only a small part of a string, while I have used a lot of the other strings. So what I am asking for is the information that let's say "for the red string you will need half the length of the others" something like that.
I just wonder if this is possible

RE: Length of strings by angeleden 10 years ago

I second the last demand of Renaki : the length would be relative and would help us to save some threads.

Thank you angeleden, you understood what I was trying to say (english is not my mother tongue) and you expressed it correctly.

RE: Length of strings by kleinevos (moderator) 10 years ago

If you look at the pattern you can see about how often you have to use a certain color for knotting. If you make only a few knots you can cut your strings much shorter . If you have to make a square or something with another color you must cut that string much longer.
What works best for me is to start with very long strings for first time knotting a certain pattern. Then after I finished the bracelet I messure what it's left over, and than I know about how long I will have to cut my strings when I make that pattern again.
After said that I fully agree with KnotterHolic ! Everybody knots different so my messurements will not be of much help for you. . .
I prefer having leftovers, too.

RE: Length of strings by angeleden 10 years ago

Hey Renaki, english is not my mother tongue neither ! ;-)
I'm still learning...

Thank you ,kleinevos, I have started the #64136 bracelet, I added 10cm to the black strings, however I see that they are getting shorter and I have concluded only 1/3 of the whole.
As I see it, I will have to tie an extra bit and then try to hide the knot.

So, all I am asking from the owners of the site is to suggest that f.e. in this project we will need the black strings to be 30cm longer. That's all....

Good for you, angeleden. I'm too old to keep learning... I learned what I've learned concerning languages. ? keep learning other things, of course.....

RE: Length of strings by iheartmrbump 10 years ago

as others have said, you can look at the pattern and see how many knots you make with a color. i personally do not measure my strings cause i find it useless and too much work. my saying is the more the bettter(:

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!