$1911

was donated
Tip for larger alpha's: marker strings! by Sammoning (moderator) 10 years ago

I came up with some sort of 'trick' that makes it easier to read and count larger (multi colored) alpha patterns:

For every fifth (or 10) base string*, I use a string in a different color and on the printed pattern I draw the saw vertical lines. This way you can keep track of where you are exactly, and you dont have to count through the whole line.

Im not sure if I should make a tutorial for this, at hte moment I only have this
picture (top right in the collage) that shows what I mean: https://www.friendship-bracelets.net/gallery.php?id=64632
The base strings are beige and the marker strings are green. Both colurs aren't present in the pattern,but match with it. And they avoid confusion with the blues and greys for the knotting.

another example: 30 string wide smiley face...yellow face,black outline, white background
your base strings could be any color,since they're not visible. Some use black or white, some prefer to use a color that's not already in the pattern to avoid confusion.
So let's say they're red, and then you can make string 5,10,15,30 etc in a different color like blue.
If you make braids at the end you might want to use marker threads in colors that match with your pattern.

Words meaning:
*Base string - in 2 colored alpha's this would be the letter string, in multicolored alpha's where you dont use them for knotting at all, base string seems a more accurate word.
*marker string - the base strings in a different color then the others, they 'mark' your location on the pattern.

RE: Tip for larger alpha's: marker strings! by Sammoning (moderator) 10 years ago

I know this looks like a big wall of text but it's just extra description, and if you get the frst part you dont need to read the rest ^.^

RE: Tip for larger alpha's: marker strings! by PamelaTee 10 years ago

I think this is a GREAT idea! I have recently been doing something similar. I color my base strings in groups of 5. 5 blue, then 5 green, then 5 purple, etc. It DOES make counting alphas much easier. It also makes for quite a colorful start and ending! I will keep your tip in mind when I want a more refined look to the ends of my alphas! :)

RE: Tip for larger alpha's: marker strings! by MayL67 10 years ago

That's so clever!!

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!