$1911

was donated
idea for metallic and neon thread..? by omknotxxine 11 years ago

I use DMC embroidery thread for all my bracelets, I've been dying to get my hands on some metallic and neon thread. But each time I go into Michaels thinking this will be the time I cave in and get them, I'm always turned off by the price and texture of them! So I just thought about it today and wanted to ask here, has anyone colored, or painted their thread before? I have fabric sharpies, silver and neon yellow fabric paint and a few ideas to possibly make it work...so if anyone has tried this feel free to fill me in! I'll let y'all know how mine turned out with plenty of details and pictures! If its a total flop I'll let you guys know how many more trips I take to Micheals till I finally cave in haha!

Thanks everybody! I just joined a month ago but haven't had time to work on my profile... Soon though! :D

RE: idea for metallic and neon thread..? by omknotxxine 11 years ago

I have glow in the dark paint and fabric medium too
I WILL MAKE THIS WORK!
BRIGHT, SHINY, GLOWING, BRACELETS WILL HAPPEN!
Next, glitter.
>:)

RE: idea for metallic and neon thread..? by LullabyeLaura 11 years ago

I've seen people buy fabric dyes and make their own tie-dye thread! I think you could easily make neons if you used neon dye, but I don't know how well metallic would go.

RE: idea for metallic and neon thread..? by SakuraVellis 11 years ago

I made my own tiedye thread too. I used the same dye as u would use for other tiedye project and it comes in many different colours. I also used ink (ecoline, dont know if its an english word), but that didnt turn out as good as the other.

Its important to use fabricpaint cause othewise it will dry up hard. I think that silver fabricpaint will not end up as metallic as the DMC cause they have metallic threads.

For a sparkle you can also add a single metallic string used for embroidery. (Looks like sewingthread but isnt as likely to break that easily)

RE: idea for metallic and neon thread..? by Goura 11 years ago

Once you have bought some nice dye,you simply have to buy some white threads.Usually i make a mixture,in case i wish a neon yellow i add some yellow dye to the ink of a yellow neon marker and dip them for a while and wash them.The colour lasts long,yet it's quite expensive if you do it on little scale.For metallic effect,you can try removing two strands from a normal thread and add nylon fishing cable.That makes the bracelet even more resistant

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!