$1911

was donated
String Length by Dees 14 years ago

I started pattern Pattern #1188 using the length the site says should be enough for a wrist bracelet, I even used a little bit extra.

Now I'm just about an inch done with the bracelet and noticing that the strings are going to be far too short! This is supposed to be a birthday present for my brother(his birthday is Monday) and I'm thinking about just tying extra black string onto the string that is already in the bracelet.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, besides starting over with new string.

And for future reference, what is a good tread length that won't run out?

Anything helps!

Thanks, Dees

RE: String Length by Joy 14 years ago

yeah i need help on startng length
any suggestions?

RE: String Length by Rissa 14 years ago

This is a question that cannot be answered in one centence.

I personally try to make my braceletes between 13 and 15,5cm (5,1 to 6,1 inch).
If I make patterns that use the same amount of thread of each color I know that 1 meter (around 40 inch) is more than enough. If I do patterns that use one or several colors all of the time and others rarely like the one you're doing now I normaly add 20-30cm (7,9-11,8 inch) to the thread (this would be to the white and blaack threads, the blue ones aren't used as often. The light blue ones should be ok with 1m, the dark blue can be even shorter, 80cm might be enough). If you want to be on the safe side and don't mind having leftovers add even some more to all threads.

But even if a thread runs short there are ways to add more thread that are not visible in the end.

RE: String Length by Dees 14 years ago

I'll definitely keep that in mind for my next bracelet, thanks!

Rissa, you said "there are ways to add more thread that are not visible in the end" do you know how to do that? If you do, would you mind explaining? :-)

RE: String Length by Rissa 14 years ago

I can try to do so. English isn't my first language, but I try my best ;)

Once your string runs short, but if it's still 3cm or longer it's time to add the new one. The best time to add thread is when the short one is "inactive", if the other thread is knotted around it.
Let's say one white thread of pattern 1188 is too short, so there is one spot where three knots are made over it.

Take one newly cut string. Turn the bracelet over with the backside upwards and take some tape. Tape the new string to the backside so that ca 4cm are on the bracelet, the most part of the string is at the same place where the short thread is.
Now turn the bracelet again and make the next knot over both threads, the short one and the newly added one. Be careful that you don't pull to tight. The knot will be a little bit bigger, but not noticable.
Make as many knots as possible over both threads, in your pattern this should be three.

Once you need to make knots with the white thread just use the long one and put the short one to the back, too. If it's in your way move it upwards in direction to the safety pin (or whatever you use) and tape it there. Now go on finishing your bracelet.

In the end you can cut the threads really, really short, but be careful not to cut into the bracelet ;)

If you need to add more than one thread try not to do that at the same time. If necessary add one thread one repetition earlier.
If you need to add string to a thread that is never overlapped/overknotted is a bit more complicated, but also doable. Use both threads to make the next knot, after that take the long thread, make a knot over the one that is next as well as the short one and try to move the knot where it belongs, sometimes this is a bit tricky.

I mostly use embroidery floss that is pre-cut into pieces of 1m, sometimes even 50cm, so I have to add strings to nearly every bracelet I do. There's one bracelet that you can see that had to do this, but only because I had to do this with nearly all strings at once...

I've made only positive experiences with this, the bracelet isn't weak at these spots where threads are added.

---

I noticed that I forgot to say something about the thread length: The thicker the yarn you use it, the shorter do you need to cut it. The measures I mentioned before are for embroidery floss.

RE: String Length by Mimii 14 years ago

wow great tip Rissa. I never have to worry about length anymore I always have extra thread at the end now. But I definitely could have used your advice a couple months ago when i first started haha.

RE: String Length by Dees 14 years ago

Thank you so much! This will definitely come in handy seeing as my strings always seem to be too short. I really appreciate the tip! :-)

RE: String Length by G_Y_Purple 6 years ago

Thanks that helps a ton same just happened with me ;)

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!