(( Bracelets )) Kumihimo Bracelets
This tutorial is supposed to teach you how to make Kumihimo friendshi
You will need strings in different colors. You can use almost all kinds of string, but I prefer to use a little bit thicker string than in ordinary friendshi
You will also need a Kumihimo disk. Such disk can be bought from craft stores. You can make your own disk out of cardboard
2. Glue it onto stiff cardboard
3. Cut out the disk using a knife (take help from your parents). You can also use scissors but it's easier and gives better results with a knife.
How to make a simple bracelet
In this section I will show how to make a simple spiral kumihimo bracelet. The goal is to teach you the very basic kumihimo tying moves.
For this bracelet, you will need four blue strings and four orange strings (you can of course use any other color). To start, you need to bunch all strings together using an overhand knot or similar.
The second step is to mount the strings onto your kumihimo disc. Put the starting knot in the middle hole in the disc, and then put the orange strings in slots 1, 2, 17 and 18. Put the blue ones in slots 9, 10, 25 and 26.
Each pair of strings will form something we will call a group. We say that we make a kumihimo bracelet with four groups and two strings in each group. In other patterns, there can be any number of groups and any number of strings in each group.
Tying the bracelet
We are now about to tie the bracelet. Fortunate
1. Move the string in slot 2 to slot 16, like this:
2. Move the string in slot 18 to slot 32:
3. Turn the disc countercl
You have now done the three basic moves: right string down, left string up, turn disc. You continue in the same way all the time. As you might expect, the next moves are:
4. Move string 10 to slot 24
5. Move string 26 to slot 8.
6. Turn the disc countercl
Continue in the same way and the bracelet will grow, inch by inch, out of the hole on the back side of the disc.
Tying a general Kumihimo bracelet
All patterns do not have four groups with two strings in each. You can choose any even number of groups (4, 6 and 8 are most common) and any number of strings in each group.
1. In the current group, move the rightmost string down so it lands directly to the right of the below group.
2. From the below group, move the leftmost string so it lands directly to the left of the current group.
3. Turn the disc counter clockwise so the next group is facing upward. This is the new current group.
4. Go to step 1.
A good and short rule of thumb is "right down, left up".EXAMPLE OF FOLOWING A KUMIHIMO PATTERN WITH MORE THAN 8 STRINGS:
String setup :
Start with the top pair. In this picture string number 8 is the first one to move to the bottom number 6 slot. Proceed with the next pair to the right. In this picture that's string number 12 on top. That string has to go to slot number 10 at the bottom. Etc.
Video for the same pattern: (http://y
Tying the spiral Kumihimo bracelet
A 32 slot kumihimo disc (either store bought or homemade)
4 strands of yarn or thread-2 strands of 2 colors
1. Fold your yarn in half and tie and over hand knot forming a loop. Press the knot through the center of the disc.
2. Warp your disc so that you have color A in slots 1,2,17, and 18. Color B will be in slots 9,10,25, and 26.
3. With slots 1 and 2 at the top, take the bottom left thread and move it to the top left (next to the thread on the top left). Now take your top right thread and move it to the bottom right next to the thread on the bottom). Turn the disc clockwise and repeat.
Repeat step 3 until your bracelet is long enough. Remove from the disk and tie and overhand knot at the end. Trim off ends.
Kumihimo with BumpsTo do this, you simply need two different thickness
Other TechniqueSquare Braid - http://fr
Four String - http://fr
Flat Braid - http://fr
Video showing a 7 strand design
first create or buy a kumihimo disk and make sure that it has 8 slits in it
next get 7 different colours of string and place them on the disk
then there should be one empty slit, make it face towards you
count every 3 strings and place the third one in the empty slit
keep on repeating that and you will make a bracelet :)
Heres a video:
Wheel CreatorOur wheel creator
Pattern CreationOur pattern creator
A great way to end the bracelet?
This is real easy.
All you really need to do is tie a Chinese stair case for at least 1 centimete
The original author of this tutorial is Stefan, but it has also been edited by Acid, Jeckle, RockePloeger, Sareana, AutumnRane, hpgames, ilovebracelets1, lalalolo, braceletlover07, Kkgretz, elvisjensen, Kestrel, Alicat, luxnelida, braceletbear, kleinevos, xeric1, Jkoolca and Yvette12900. The tutorial was last updated 3 months ago.