$1911

was donated
Thread length data by in-tension 8 months ago

So while there are good recommendations for how long to cut threads at the start of a bracelet, I want to find out how much thread people actually use when they make bracelets.

Would people be willing to record how much thread they use when they make bracelets, measuring their thread when they start a bracelet and then how much is left at the end?

I would also need to know how many strings they used (or the pattern) and the length of the bracelet.

Ideally, one would only be measuring the pattern portion of the bracelet, not the buckle or braid (or other bracelet endings). And thus one would be measuring the length of thread not at the very beginning but after completing a buckle (or other start). And not at the very end, but before completing the braid (or other end).

If you're willing, just post your measurements here and I'll try to gather enough to make averages and distributions of actaul string usage.

RE : Thread length data (for #111201) by Chri-stoff_Charming 8 months ago

Hello In,

I just did what you describe above for my normal pattern 111201
The 16 string pattern shows ukuleles and each repitition has 26 rows.
After making the startbuckle I measured and cut all strings to 120 cm.
Now i knotted 3 repititions plus two extra rows (all together 14cm (without the buckle)) and measured the rests of the strings again:
- the 10 strings of the background colour (beige) have residuals between 45cm and 55cm
- the 4 strings of the ukulele main colour (white) have residuals between 60cm and 70cm
- the 2 strings of the ukuleles accent colour (black) have a residuals of 75cm

Now I can knot the rest of the bracelet to finish it.

I think it's also important to mention that the material of the strings of the background colour (beige) is a little bit thicker than the other strings (even though they al have 4 strands).

So I needed:
around 75cm beige thread length (+ start and end)
around 60cm of white thread length (+ start and end)
around 45cm of black thread length (+ start and end)
and I got a bracelet of 14cm (+ start and end)length and 2cm width.

I hope this is what You are searching for.
have a nice knotingtime
Chri

RE : Thread length data by in-tension 7 months ago

Thank you Chri, that's exactly what I'm looking for (although measurements for each string individually would be good too). I didn't think about thread thickness, but that's super relevant. Is there any chance you could post a picture of the 2 different thread thicknesses you're using?

RE : Thread length data by Chri-stoff_Charming 7 months ago

I'm afraid there would be no visible difference, in this case I'd say it (the differenc of thicknesses) is only tactile.
Here is a Picture on which this bracelet is included:

You could notice that the "Ukulele-Bracelet" is less wide than the two above, though it has more strings. That's because it's made of visibly thiner thread.

By the way; making the one with the ringpattern I nearly ran out of the rosy and light blue which are double as thick as the other threads in this Bracelet.

But next time I'll try to take a picture of the single threads.

RE : Thread length data by Chri-stoff_Charming 7 months ago

oops the picture is a bit small
I'll try it again:

Please delete this if unsuitable

Advertisement

You must login to reply to this thread!